Saturday 24 September 2011

Expressions are my new best friend

Last week my teacher, Rupert, suggested I do an expression for the light flicker of my fire. So today I looked up one on the interwebs. Got a pretty good one. Having never used expressions before in Maya, I was slightly confused on how to do it. But after a minor syntax error, I was able to get it to work pretty darn good. Just a simple random expression in the intensity of the lights, piece of cake. It was so easy, I'm seriously going to look into more expressions in the future, they're so simple. Here's a sample render of the flicker with the fire. Took off the textures to speed up render time, and dropped my settings to draft and a 4:3 aspect ratio. But even at that low quality you can see the awesome shadows the flames are making, especially in the second room. The 3rd room not so much, because I didn't have the light in the fire. But I do now and it looks great in the stills.




Can't wait to see it with textures and higher quality settings. The final render will be awesomesauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment